Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mae's Crazy Quilt



    This quilt is very special.  It was made by Mary Elizabeth "Mae" Mather Wilson and is owned by her great granddaughter, Erin, my cousin.  The quilt was made before 1910 and is shown in Mae's cabin at that time.  It is made out of heavy silks and velvet and has all the wonderful embroidery stitching.  The quilt is made of 4 main blocks set together and is twin size.  Mae made it to be used and she took very good care of it.  Erin said it is in perfect condition and still vivid colors.  As I study this quilt out and study out the one on the bed, I think these are 2 different quilts made by the same person.  Does anyone else see what I see?  The color photo has a green border around it and the quilt on the bed has no border.  Also the fabric in the pieces is different as the colored photo has solid colores but the one in the cabin has patches with a sort of print. 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful treasure! Thank you, Erin for letting me post in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like looking at the black and white photo. There is much to see there. I like the table cover and the big picture above the bed on the wall.

    ReplyDelete